Gangam Style, Mountain Dew and Star Trek the HD Generation

Hello everyone, did you miss me?. No thought not. I've been away for a while, and not because I've been at Her Majesties pleasure. My original facebook account that was linked to this blog was shut down due to an unfortunate event involving a rather large pair of boobs, and some horses genitals. Please don't ask!. Anyway to cut a long story short, I wasn't able to access the blog for a while, and for various other reasons. I never got back round to posting, and for that I can only apologise. I can only imagine the trauma I heaped upon my thousands of fans, so I've taken it upon myself, to bring the blog back. So sit back, grab a drink and let me entertain you. Seeing as how it's nearly the end of the year, or maybe the new year as it depends when you are reading this (Remember time isn't linier, it's a big jumbled ball of timey wimey stuff) I've decided to write about my highlights of 2012. So where do I begin, it can only be one thing, being a creature of the Internet (No not a goblin, or a mage or anything like that) there has been one thing that has taken the Internet by storm this year, Gangam style. I don't think anyone on the planet hasn't seen the video of gangam style yet, If you haven't your either dead or living in some sort of 1800's style religious community where TV, radio and the Internet are all tools of the Devil. And you will probably burn in hell for even knowing what you tube is. (on a slightly unrelated subject there is a complete market that google hasn't learnt to advertise to, or maybe they have, they might have a fleet of horse drawn carts with billboard posters on roaming the communes advertising relevant products to the community like new scythes, and cotton head scarfs and pitchforks etc...) Anyway I'm rambling as usual, ah yes Gangam style, a video made by a slightly overweight Korean rapper, with the most ludicrous dance that anyone has ever seen, Apparently it's a sarcastic remark on an affluent area of Korea, a bit like Korea's version of Essex (Cue some bright spark starting the only way is Gangam). But we don't care about any of that we just like the part where he dances like he's riding a horse. Respect. If by some miracle your not one of the billion people that has already seen this video, here it is again. And besides it can't help but to link to the most popular video of all time can it.




I did, and probably still am
Also this year saw me fulfil one of my ambitions, and go to a gaming convention. Now those of you that know me, will no that I am a massive gamer, always have been. So when I got the chance to go to Eurogamer Expo 2012 at Earls Court in London town, I jumped at the chance. It gave us the chance to cover a major gaming event for the facebook page, play some pretty cool games before they were released, and the chance to go some developer sessions to see how games are designed and built. I can honestly say it was the best few days of my life, but it left me with two major lasting impressions. The first one is the lifestyle and the pace of a major city. Now where I live isn't really a backwater town at all, it's still a pretty bustling metropolis at the best of times, but compared to London, it's a different world. It was like living in a different time zone, and it appealed to my nocturnal nature. I loved the ability to randomly walk around at 11pm in the evening and be able to go into shops, have a drink in a bar, go play in the arcades. or just even have a coffee. it was fantastic. It's such a bustling city, there are more people out and about after midnight than I've ever seen out during the daytime in my home town. I just love that sort of pace of life, it seems like everything switches off at home after 6pm, but in London, everything is 24/7. Now I know that a lot of people don't like that sort of pace, and a lot of city folks would love to move to a quieter area. But I enjoyed that hustle and bustle and to be honest, I was rather sad to leave it all behind. The other thing that I took away from the Eurogamer Expo show was an unhealthy addiction to Mountain Dew. A rather strange thing to get addicted to I know, but let me explain. Mountain Dew was one of the major sponsors of the Halo 4 launch, so throughout the show, they had a stand with girls on handing out free shots of mountain dew in shot glasses to anyone who walked by. As you can imagine after walking round Earls Court for four days we partook in quite a few shots of the glowing yellow energy drink, Now the downside to all this, as you now is that Mountain Dew has been re-launched as an energy drink, and like all energy drinks, after drinking quite a lot, you normally end up wired and bouncing around the room of all four walls. This made for some rather amusing times whilst we were in London, but as we came down of our mountain dew fix, we just went back and got some more. So when we returned home, we suddenly found ourselves calling in at the local shop just to buy a bottle, because we were missing it. Then to make matters worse for our addictions they started running a competition to win a copy of Halo 4 by drinking Mountain Dew, so what did we do, yes we bought, and drank even more. Damn you and your fantastic advertising campaign, result one addicted person, on the plus side though I did win a free copy of the game (the first time I've won a competition) so it isn't all bad.

Even the Enterprise gets BSOD problems
Another of my highlights of 2012, is the decision by Syfy to start showing the entire series of Star Trek the next generation again in HD. This made my inner geek make a sort of cooing noise, like a camp pigeon. The best Star Trek ever, all 200 episodes shown back to back in HD, I mean come on. It couldn't get any better.  I've even started to make Lewis watch some of the episodes in the hope that it will release the geek inside him, instead of being all cool all the time with his football etc, it would be nice for him to just shout out once in a while. "Fuck Yeah!" as Picard destroys the Romulan warship and fist pump the air in celebration. No oh well regardless, I intend to watch every single episode again, just for its sheer brilliance. And I don't care what the haters say about it.

So that pretty much rounds up my highlights of 2012, other than to say that during this year I made some incredible new friends, and I hope now that we have escaped the Mayan doomsday that we will have some more memorable highlights to come.

See you all next year as the blog returns to full strength, with more of the same witty ramblings and random pictures for your delight. In the words of Captain Picard
"Take us out of here ensign"
"Engage!"

Comments

  1. I dont think I have ever chuckled so much at a blog in my life, keep them coming Deano and I will gladly keep reading
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read the back catalogue ??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts