Jam Butties, Cassette DJ's and Pan Lids

The World Famous Scooby Doo Sandwich
It's Friday, and its that time of the week again when I like to post my random musings for all to see. This week I've gone back to my childhood (Although most will say I've never left it). And I've rediscovered a childhood classic the Jam Buttie. (I know people will at this point start shouting at the computer, but Dean you said that you were stopping eating bread. I did but now I'm eating it again and I'm sorry but I cant help myself. I was going to try booking a session with the national stop eating bread helpline. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. Bread is just too nice (If you are also affected by the bread issues raised in this blog then you can phone the national bread helpline on 0800-BREAD-NO)) Anyway as I was saying before I interrupted myself. I've rediscovered the humble Jam Buttie, now most of you that grew up in the 80's will remember Jam Butties were the best snack food in the world that you could get away with. There was nothing finer than munching a Jam Buttie, and ending up with little sticky hands that could grab material better than Velcro. Although me and my brother usurped the Jam Buttie and ramped it up into the full scale Scooby Doo sandwich. If you don't know what one of these is then you need to try it. Take about 6 slices of bread, butter them all on both sides except two, and then add all your favourite fillings in layers. So you would have bread, then cheese, then bread, then ham, then bread, then Jam etc ... Use your own choices of fillings be experimental it's genius, And I'm giving the gift to you.

Radio 1 studios were a bit sparse in the eighties
Also I've expanded my online presence this week (And no before you start I haven't uploaded that photo of myself in the speedos) No I've also started including in my blog Audio versions. Now not only can you read my words of madness as they tumble from my head. You can actually hear them as well. I'm not the worlds best narrator as you can probably tell. But for all of you that imagine me saying the things I've written. Imagine no more, Now you can hear me say them for real. Its like lazy reading Brilliant. The thing that I've noticed (And you'll all know what I'm talking about) Is that listening to your own voice is weird. No matter how hard you try to not sound strange you always do when your hear your own voice played back. It also reminds me of years gone past when you had your tape recorder and you used to tape songs from the chart. You'd get brave and record yourself introducing them "And here's the latest smash from Adam and The Ants Prince Charming " then a badly edited noise whilst you pressed stop on the tape recorder. Then the song starting maybe a few seconds already into the intro. You also had to try and stop the song before you heard the real DJ's voice cut in and say "Its a non mover up two places this week" and other assorted radio type quotes. Anyway I hope you enjoy the audio versions as much as the written ones.

Also this week in the words of the prodigy "I'm the firestarter, twisted firestarter NEEEEEEEE NEEEEEEEEE" well actually that's not quite true, I'm the almost firestarter. Yes I had a culinary disaster the other night. And almost set fire to the kitchen in the process. Now this isn't because I'm a bad cook far from it many many people will attest to my cooking ability. The problem I seem to have is multitasking (yes I know typical male problem before all the women start). I put a pan of rice on the stove to cook, and it being a brand new pan i put the lid on it (Yes pans have lids Dean, which I wasn't aware of ) Anyway I put a light under it and retired to the living room, and thought I'd record some audio for the blog. Next thing I'm aware of is Lewis coming down the stairs and asking me what the burning smell was. "I dunno" I replied to which Lewis opened the kitchen door and was met with a wall of smoke. It appears that the pan of rice had boiled dry and then proceeded to start burning the rice itself. Oooops result one very burnt and destroyed brand new pan. Now I can see what you are all thinking "that's its you got to engrossed in the computer" but no I blame the pan lid. Now my old pan used to boil rice in about 20 mins without a lid on. The new pan seemed to accelerate that time greatly. Therefore it wasn't my fault it was the pan. I'm tempted to take it back and ask for a refund but I don't think customer services would appreciate a burnt out pan with the remnants of rice welded to the bottom. Oh well you live an learn. And the moral of the story is use old pans without lids

Right that's it blog written, I'm of to record the audio and see what other kitchen utensils combust. See ya


Comments

Popular Posts