Life Imitating Art, Lego Zombies and Easter Eggs

Its field reporter Brian Fantana
Hello blog fans, and welcome to this weeks musings. Coming up in the next hour, we see how to make the perfect souffle, and Geoff goes off to discover where all the bees have gone?. But first have you ever heard of the saying "Life imitates Art", well this week strange things have been afoot. It started with the announcement last week on the Conan O Brian show in the states that they are going to make a fully fledged sequel to one of the greatest films of all time .Anchorman, as readers of this blog will know I absolutely love this film, so I was bouncing round the room like a bouncy thing on hearing the news. So with Anchorman fresh in my mind again, I couldn't help but roll around the floor laughing when on the news this week has been the story of the Two pandas at Edinburgh Zoo. The biggest news story of the week has been the story of the two pandas and the fact that it's the 36 hour window in which they can mate. Yes panda fans, it's a fact that pandas can only mate for 36 hours once a year (And while you may feel sorry for them, they still get more action than me). Why is this so funny. Well if you've seen Anchorman you'll know that the film revolves around the biggest "News" story of the decade with the pandas giving birth. A supposed satirical look at the news scene that the sex life of pandas is the biggest news story of all time. If you haven't seen Anchorman (And I'm looking specifically at you Julie !! yes you) then the subtleties of the irony will be lost on you. Like I said at the beginning life imitating art. What was a satirical film about pandas being the biggest news of all week, has become real life with the stories on the news this week. All that was missing on the BBC news reports was Brian Fantana reporting live from the zoo and Brick cuddling the pandas.

While we are on the subject of life imitating art. Another one of my favourite films of all time has made it into the news this week. Shaun of the Dead. Now don't worry the undead haven't risen from the grave and the only way to kill them is to bash their heads in. No, nothing that serious, but thanks in part to the tweets of Simon Pegg. A Fan made Lego project will get the green light and go into production. Now if you re like me (And I know most of you aren't, that's why you enjoy reading my ramblings) then Lego is one of the greatest things of all time. Even at nearly 40 years old (Actually I'm 24) Lego still provides me with hours of fun, building stupid things with my son. It also has enormous geek properties as well, especially with the advent of the Lego Star Wars universe. So when I was browsing the Internet I discovered the Lego Cuusoo site. A site where fans can create Lego projects and share them with the world, and if they hit 10,000 likes then Lego will consider making them into a building set to purchase online. So imagine my surprise at finding a fan created fully functional Lego Shaun of the Dead Winchester pub playset. Including all the characters, Shaun with a bit of red on him, Ed, Daffs and the rest. If you look on the site you can see that they have recreated the don't stop me now scene, complete with zombie landlord John, and a Lego jukebox and pool cues. This is absolute genius at its best, and its got me thinking, maybe I'll come up with my own Lego set creation. Maybe we could even recreate the panda scene from anchorman in Lego and if I get enough likes it might make it into production. Time to get my geek on !!

Internet Explorer breaking the Internet since 1995
Also seeing as how its Easter this weekend, I thought I'd let you all have a treat and tell you all about a hidden Easter egg. For this to work though you need to be browsing the Internet using Mozilla Firefox. If you re still using Internet Explorer then you are either stuck in the 20th century, or I'm surprised you can even read this website. If you type into the Firefox navigation bar about:robots then you will be met with a cool screen from our robot overlords. Also you can read lines of scripture from the book of mozilla by typing about:mozilla into the navigation bar as well. If you know of any other hidden Easter eggs then do share them with me, as all geeks enjoy going on an Easter egg hunt. And nowadays all the best software doesn't include Easter eggs due to the security risk of rogue bits of code floating around. Gone are the days of opening Excel and finding the hidden flight simulator in there, or the pinball game hidden within word. It seems the only people who insert Easter eggs nowadays are the open source community and games developers. Sad times


That's it for this week, I'll be back same time next week with more random ramblings and geekiness for you all





Comments

Popular Posts