Soap, Pop Quizes and Internet Connections




Thats Entertainment !!
Hello and welcome to Deans Weekly Blog, the Internet blog site that is packed full of vitamins and minerals, or is that milk?. Can't quite remember but never mind that's irrelevant. So this week, on one of my jaunts out and about, I went to visit a friend for tea. It was a great evening filled with giggles and wine, but the only bad part of the evening was her insistence on catching up on her daily soaps. My god never in my life have I been subjected to such miserable and depressing television in my life. This brings me onto one of my rants. What is the point of soap operas. Now the fans will all pipe up the well worn excuse "It's real life". Fact NO ITS NOT. I cant remember the last time on my street that an aeroplane crashed and killed half, the village. Or a tram fell of the line into the local corner shop. I can honestly say that I don't think that any of my neighbours have murdered, raped or stolen children. Now I'm not saying its a perfect world, far from it. People get killed, hurt, abused all the time. But my point is this and its a very valid one. These things don't happen every day, to the same people, for the past fifty years or so. If you want to watch realistic soap operas, why don't they make them true to life. Imagine watching Sally Webster put the bin out on a Thursday morning for the binmen, she goes in and watches Jeremy Kyle on the TV, does some housework then cooks Kevin's tea ready for him coming in from work. Not exactly the most thrilling of days, but its real life. Imagine Dot Cotton, having to go out in the pouring rain to the local shop because she's run out of fags. Thrilling no, real yes. Whilst I am on the subject of soaps, why has no one in Eastenders got a washing machine?. Come on, real life, really??. In the 1950's yeah maybe, but not in 2012. Imagine Ian Beale spending 3 hours on the phone to a call centre in India because his Internet has gone down. That's real life my friends. The worst part about all of this is that you all watch it for entertainment. Now people call me weird (Quite often) but excuse me for saying that I don't find watching a couple argue about someone sleeping with the neighbour that entertaining. The worst thing is that there is hardly any quality drama on TV nowadays, but there is a soap opera for every occasion.

I am the quiz king !!!
Also this week we have moved offices again at work, and I'm now sat in the new office with the sales lads. Instead of my solitary on line existence that I normally lead. I'm now surrounded by real life people again. One of the hot topics in the office at the moment is Ben's new sound system attached to his computer. Imagine one of those chavved up Corsas that you see driving around everywhere and all you can hear is the low thud thud thud sound from the subwoofers, well this is what Ben's desk now sounds like (I'd also like to point out that Ben also drives a Corsa with a thudding sound system, so draw your own conclusions). Anyway the game of the week has been the iPod shuffle game. Everyone has taken turns to plug their phones into Ben's chavvy desk and we've been trying to guess what the songs are. So far I'm undefeated in my pop knowledge, much to the astonishment of Ben, he's been trying his hardest to catch me out with one and so far (Except for some random chavvy music that I don't know) I'm undefeated. Which has annoyed him and made me giggle.

First world problems
This week has been another testing week in the world of Dean, as every time I get in from work I've found that my Internet connection has gone down. Now I know that I sound like one of those first world problem memes that are about, but surely nowadays in the world of digital connections and massive high speed data transfers that a standard household Internet connection can run for more than a few hours at a time without dropping out. It wouldn't be so bad but everything I own seems to connect to the Internet in some way shape or form, including myself. In fact it was this very problem that made last weeks blog two days late. The thing is that really winds me up is that when you ring the call centre for your service provider to report the Internet problem, they treat you like some sort of special needs retard. Don't get me wrong, I would imagine that someone somewhere has rang their service to providers to report an Internet fault, gone through the checks and discovered that their router is unplugged from the socket. I mean we all do it now and again, I myself have waited by the toaster for 15 mins wondering why the toast hasn't popped out yet, only to discover that I haven't actually plugged it in yet!!. But I digress (For a change). But when you call the service provider and give them a specific fault i.e. "My connection has failed CHAP authentication", why do they then ask you such stupid questions as "Which browser are you running?", "What version of windows is it?" this really annoys me to the point I usually start to rage "It doesn't matter which version of windows I'm using or which browser, the router cant authenticate its connection at the exchange, this has nothing to do with me running windows 7 64 bit. Its because something is broken at the exchange and needs an engineer to go and fix it PLEASE., And yes before you ask I've swapped my router because everyone has 15 spare ones lying around just for when they ring you up". My favourite thing to do when they ask you silly questions is to baffle them with technical speak. "What operating system are you using sir, Windows 7? ... erm no actually I'm running Ubuntu Linux inside a virtual environment! .... Oh hang on a minute ..... let me pass you through to one of my colleagues" Game won... So please if you work for an Internet service provider and I happen to ring up with a problem, please treat me like I at least know how to work a phone I've dialled your number haven't I

Anyway I'm of now to go and see a man about a dog (I don't actually know what this means, but I'll find out for next week)

Comments

Popular Posts