Trolls, Advertising and The Incredible Hulk

Don't do it joker, he doesn't love you!
Hello everyone and welcome to 2013, the start of a brand new year. The best thing about the fact that it's 2013 is that we get to stick our middle fingers up at the Mayan doomsday calender and say screw you we're still here. Although I am tempted to sacrifice a teenage pop star to appease the gods. Talking about teenage pop stars, something very disturbing happened this week in the land of the Internet. As anyone who uses the Internet knows there are mainly two types of people who use the Internet. Trolls and 12 year old Justin Bieber fans. This week the two collided in a spectacular battle of the Internet that even got everyday folk and minor celebrities involved. Allegedly, and I do stress this as I don't want my shit hacking and placing all over the Internet. Allegedly a group of trolls from 9GAG decided to troll Justin Bieber fans on twitter about the fact that apparently the teenage pop sensation (not my words, I read it on the news site) had been caught smoking weed. They started the hash tag on twitter #cutforbieber basically insinuating that all the 12 year old fans should start cutting themselves in protest until Justin stopped smoking. It was a sick joke admittedly but I can see the humour behind it, suggesting that all the 12 year olds are stupid sheep and believe everything on the Internet, and are mistaken in the belief that somehow following a pop star on twitter means that one day they will get married and have children. The troll backfired though spectacularly as innocent people started wading in on the debate by suggesting that cutting for bieber was a stupid thing to do, and teenage girls shouldn't get so upset over their heroes actions. The point is, at this time none of them were actually doing it and it was just the trolls to start with. but with the intervention of the concerned citizens it started the hash tag trending till it reached the number one trend in the world. Of course by this time all the bieber fans that actually own twitter had got in on the act and started defending the right to mutilate themselves until their hero noticed them and married them. After about 8 hours of this going on, even minor celebrities were getting in on the act, imploring the 12 year olds to stop hurting themselves. It was one of the most comical exchanges I've ever read on the Internet although the subject matter was a little sick. The worrying thing about all this though is that all these girls, will be the future mothers of the next generation of children. and that worries me. If they are prepared to go to those lengths for attention. What does the future have in store for us?

 One of the other things I've noticed this week, is that the power of the Internet has grown stronger. Internet exclusive trends and memes have now started invading popular culture, and even advertisements now. For years to be honest, companies have cottoned on to the fact that they can create viral videos on you tube that get caught up in the wave of popularity and get spread around the Internet, thus creating buzz for their products. But now this seems to have been flipped on it's head. Now marketing companies have taken massive on line trends and used them in external advertising, such as TV and radio. I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with this though. Being a child of the Internet means that certain things belong to us. The right to post pictures and talk endlessly about cats is an Internet thing. No it really is. If you talked to someone in real life about cats, or meowed at them you would be locked up and sedated. But on the Internet everyone is a cat, and if you don't meow, you must be some sort of weirdo or a paedophile. So when our beloved Internet content finds it's way into everyday life, it makes me a little un-easy. If you live on the Internet, you will have come across the trololol guy. It's a 1970's Russian singer that has taken the Internet by storm. The thing about the Internet is that things happen for no reason.So no-one actually knows why the trololol guy song is so popular, but it is. Anyway Butlins have taken the song and used it in their latest advert. Now most of you will think that there is nothing wrong with that. But in my mind (a scary place I know) things like this belong on the Internet, It's something that all us geeks can giggle about amongst ourselves without the general populace knowing what we're talking about. If you take that away from us, then we'll start boring you endlessly with the latest memes, and parodies that we've found. If you don't want this to happen, leave the cool content for us, don't steal our ideas. And for all you Internet fans out there. Here's trolol guy making a guest appearance in Family Guy.




Maybe it's beacuse I'm getting older, or maybe I'm just a grumpy cat, but recently my rage levels have been growing on a daily basis. I don't know but for some reason everything in the world seems to be annoying me recently. I drive to work in the morning and some idiot decides to pull out in front of me to save 3 seconds on his journey time and FFFFFFFFUUUUU the rage builds inside me like some sort of monster. I queue up in the local shop to but something and the guy in front of me at the counter decides to buy a 3 litre bottle of cider at 8 in the morning and pay for it with two pence coins and FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU. I'm sure one of these days one of two things is going to happen. Either I'm going to end up snapping and lauching a triade of abuse at everyone within earshot, or the most likely scenario is that my eyes will suddenly go white, my shirt starts suddenly ripping. and I start turning green. And the next thing you know Lou Ferrigno is standing in Day and Night purchasing a pack of cigarettes. Still this wouldn't be a bad thing at all. As after I've calmed down and turned back into me, I could walk of into the distance with my ragged clothes, playing the sad song that always used to play as Dr Banner walked of into the distance


Thats it from me this week. See you all again soon

Byyeee !

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts